Easy Paleo guide – Eating for health
I got the list below from Kurt Harris at http://www.paleonu.com/ – a great site especially for paleo nutrition geeks. And there is a nice little 5 minute video that follows that is is simple clear intro to Paleo eating.
For some ideas about how to do your own 30 day Paleo Fitness challenge, read my page on Eating.
Here are the crystal-clear (to me) 12 step guide to Paleo eating. Questions? Comments? Post in the comment section.
1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all flour.
2. Start eating proper fats – Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for carb calories. Drink whole cream or half and half instead of milk.
3. Eliminate grains.
4. Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils). Cook with butter, animal fats, or coconut oil.
5. Get daily midday sun or take 4000-8000 IU of vitamin D daily.
6. Intermittent fasting and infrequent meals (2 meals a day is best).
7. Fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat fruit in moderation, especially if you have excess body fat.
8. Eliminate legumes.
9. Adjust your Omega 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison avoids excess Omega-6 fatty acids. Grass fed meat works better in your body than supplementing with 0mega-3 supplements.
10. Proper exercise – emphasize resistance and interval training rather than long aerobic sessions.
11. Eliminate milk (if you are sensitive to it, move this up the list).
12. Eliminate other dairy including cheese- (now you are “orthodox paleolithic”).